Slowly, but we are moving forward. Air assist with selenoid valve (madness!) and flow adjuster. Air provided from airbrush compressor via 1/8 BSP coupling. Cable/pipe chain, stepper cable holder – small things but still improvements. Testing 3″ 12V bilge fan with PWM motor regulator – on full power it sucks like… never mind, and is also a bit noisy. Half speed is enough to suck out any smoke from plywood cutting. 3D printed smoke manifold. Things left to do: cooling sensors cluster, switching panel.
Firstly, I have added rubber grommets to every hole that passes cables or water hoses. Sorry, Chinese engineers, you just can’t put the cables thru unsecured hole in sheet metal and hope that isolation won’t fail or the hose won’t tear apart after some time. Next thing – added killswitch and keyswitch: killswitch switches off everything, including rear 240V sockets, while keyswitch operates the laser and adds a bit more security to the device. While at it, replaced all 240V wiring too. I have replaced 240V case fan that was blowing like cat’s fart, with 12V 90mm case fan – cheap, but it actually works. Also moved Laser’s PSU closer to air intake, making space for 12V PSU that powers forementioned vent and will power smoke vent, water pump, mechanised table and Arduino.
It’s funny how weird things are possible to buy (new, unused) nowadays. For example very popular, cheap, Chinese laser cutter: K40. Available in many prices and variations. The one I was able to get was pretty surprising: rusty, corroded parts, corroded, teared screws and nuts, welding job done with one electrode for 16 lasers at least, innovative (and probably illegal) wiring, sending both live and neutral via the wires of the same colour, etc… The sheet(or rather shit)metal enclosure is developed with all the rules of Feng-Shui: open, unwelded panels are generating all kind of noises. No angle is straight. But…
For the price it makes very good platform to get your hands burned. It allows to invent new purposes for all that dusty Arduinos laying at the bottom of the drawer. You can finally find purpose for all the 1-wire sensors, stepping motor controllers, displays, and whatever tells well known “I need it for later use” story. Firstly, some pictures at the start. I will post updates.
I’m a member of local Polish community on Facebook. I can’t count how many times questions like “where to find Polish barber, Polish dressmaker, Polish accountant, etc” have been answered there. Finally, I have decided: it’s time for Polish business directory in UK. I’ve already started putting things together, service should be up and online in a week or two. Watch http://polbiz.co.uk.
This is (probably) BSA bike from 1950’s. It will undergo total “candy” restoration. Planned time: about 6 months.
We are now getting ready to close steamworx.net hosting service, which was up for nearly 10 years. It’s hard to compete with the giants like Godaddy, 1&1 or OVH. If you can’t defeat your enemy, join them. Well, I’m not joining, but instead of providing hosting, now I’ll be just using it. It was good time, a lot of news things to learn, but now it’s time for something completely different…