Testing is important. This laser cut/engraved leather Mjölnir has been heavily used for nearly a year. It looks better than new now, and doesn’t change since it got that “used leather” look. Seems like it’s going to work for years. Good job.
It’s nice to receive gifts. Especially when the gift brings personal memories. Here we have nice box and key fobs for very special Grandpa, who enjoyed riding his BMW R50 nearly half of a century ago. On one of such trips he’s met a very special Grandma…
I did have old, Russian clock enclosure, and I wanted piggy bank. That was very quick and very easy upcycling action. Maybe 15 minutes including design, cutting and assembling. Top and bottom of coin compartment made of 3mm plywood. Walls around – 3mm acrylic glass. Looks good, now to testing 😉
I’ve added clamps that hold cut/engraved material flat on the table. The birch plywood I buy is often bent. It’s also common problem with acrylic mirror, due to protecting layer on the back side. Now I can cut everything nicely and evenly.
I’ve seen hundreds of different K40 table projects: adjustable, non-adjustable, 3d printed, welded, improvised, motorized etc. I just wanted a bed easy to adjust every few days, stable and attached to gantry rather than to wobbly bottom. Here we go: few aluminium extruded profiles, 4x M6 screws, 4 springs and I have a bed that does what and how I need. I can remove slats and only leave them where support is needed – that allows me to have clean, tidy cuts. Read more “K40 Laser table”
Finally I have finished most of my K40 mods. The plan is mostly realised. We have
- Proper wiring, key switch, kill switch
- 12V adjustable speed bilge fan for smoke exhaust
- 12V water pump
- 12V internal LED light
- LED laser pointer
- Air assist with adjustable air flow rate
- Water flow senor (disables laser if flow rate too low)
- Water temperature sensor (disables laser if temp too high)
- Water level sensor (because water tank is black opaque to prevent algae growth)
- PSU compartment temperature sensor
- Lid open sensor (disables laser when open)
- Digital percentage and current display for laser power setting
- High flow case fan for PSU compartment
Mechanised adjustable bed still needs to be done. I’ve seen few projects and didn’t like them very much. In free time (free time?) I’ll design my own adjustable, powered bed. Now it’s time to cut and engrave!
That’s how it works:
Been working hard. Most of the modification is done. Cabling is nearly done. All I need is to put new 12v pump, flow meter, water level sensor and finish programming Arduino which takes care of reading, displaying and reacting for events.
Slowly, but we are moving forward. Air assist with selenoid valve (madness!) and flow adjuster. Air provided from airbrush compressor via 1/8 BSP coupling. Cable/pipe chain, stepper cable holder – small things but still improvements. Testing 3″ 12V bilge fan with PWM motor regulator – on full power it sucks like… never mind, and is also a bit noisy. Half speed is enough to suck out any smoke from plywood cutting. 3D printed smoke manifold. Things left to do: cooling sensors cluster, switching panel.
Firstly, I have added rubber grommets to every hole that passes cables or water hoses. Sorry, Chinese engineers, you just can’t put the cables thru unsecured hole in sheet metal and hope that isolation won’t fail or the hose won’t tear apart after some time. Next thing – added killswitch and keyswitch: killswitch switches off everything, including rear 240V sockets, while keyswitch operates the laser and adds a bit more security to the device. While at it, replaced all 240V wiring too. I have replaced 240V case fan that was blowing like cat’s fart, with 12V 90mm case fan – cheap, but it actually works. Also moved Laser’s PSU closer to air intake, making space for 12V PSU that powers forementioned vent and will power smoke vent, water pump, mechanised table and Arduino.
It’s funny how weird things are possible to buy (new, unused) nowadays. For example very popular, cheap, Chinese laser cutter: K40. Available in many prices and variations. The one I was able to get was pretty surprising: rusty, corroded parts, corroded, teared screws and nuts, welding job done with one electrode for 16 lasers at least, innovative (and probably illegal) wiring, sending both live and neutral via the wires of the same colour, etc… The sheet(or rather shit)metal enclosure is developed with all the rules of Feng-Shui: open, unwelded panels are generating all kind of noises. No angle is straight. But…
For the price it makes very good platform to get your hands burned. It allows to invent new purposes for all that dusty Arduinos laying at the bottom of the drawer. You can finally find purpose for all the 1-wire sensors, stepping motor controllers, displays, and whatever tells well known “I need it for later use” story. Firstly, some pictures at the start. I will post updates.